“If you fail to plan, you plan to fail”
Yes, its cheezy, but when it comes to your website it also happens to be true. Your website needs a plan.
Good Websites Don’t “Just Happen”
A lot of websites, especially in smaller organizations, get thrown together with little thought given to information architecture, text content, branding, promotion, or the intended audience. Does that sound like your website?
Companies know that they need a website, but they really don’t know how to go about it. And they certainly don’t know how to promote it once it is launched!
Unfortunately, “if you build it, they will come” doesn’t work on the internet. There is a lot to know when it comes to designing, building, writing, and then promoting a successful website and there are a lot of ways it can go off the rails. A website without proper direction is very unlikely to perform well in the search engines or provide the information that your intended audience is looking for.
Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
There are a lot of decisions to make when it comes time to build a site:
- What web technologies should be used?
- What skillsets are required to build this site? A designer? A copywriter? A coder?
- What is a reasonable budget to accomplish your goals?
- Is a content management system required?
- What about e-commerce?
- Should we integrate a blog into the site?
That is where my experience comes in:
- Almost 10 years of involvement in web projects ranging from small business sites to a Fortune 500 company.
- I’m well versed in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM).
- I’m well read in web usability and web standards.
- I’m an experienced PHP/MySQL and Coldfusion developer. I’ve been in the trenches and I understand what it takes to build a good site. I speak “programmer”.
- I’ve worked extensively in conjunction with world class graphic designers. I speak “designer”.
- I have several years of experience in a corporate marketing department environment. I speak “marketing”.
I’d love to sit down with you and discuss your next web project. Together we can start your project out on the right foot.